Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mid-day snack

This is the first attempt of a hopefully ongoing mini-project to share simple recipes from the Caleu farm. Nothing too fancy, just to show how much one can do with very little. For daily meals, most of the ingredients I have to work with come from the farm's organic gardens and chicken coop, nearby roadside produce vendors, and the small shop next door. These limited resources call for a little more creativity in the kitchen.

To give you an idea of how mere proximity and interaction with the origins of what you eat can change the way you appreciate food(I know most of you are well aware of this but bear with me), here's an excerpt from a recent email to my sister:

"...By far my favorite thing about the farm is the food. I have the freshest carrots, lettuce, onions, etc. at my fingertips. Vegetables and fruits whose growth and final ripeness I (and of course Carlos, my gardening mentor) presided over with religious watering and weeding. I guess you could say it's like the sweat of my labor is a metaphorical fertilizer, cultivating the unconditionally loving bond between nurturer and nurtured. Like children I've raised so closely and with such diligence. And then I eat them. There is a lady next door who bakes fresh bread every Saturday in a stone oven outside her shop. She also sells locally made goat cheese. To prove that I'm not just throwing around the term 'local', she doesn't even refrigerate the cheese. It came from so close and will likely be consumed so soon thereafter that those extra measures to preserve just aren't necessary . There are chickens and a couple ducks on the farm that give us fresh, tasty eggs everyday. You look at food in a whole new beautiful light when it's acquired within less than half a mile of where you sleep. When I'm in Santiago, I have millions of options at the supermarkets, but all I ever want when I'm there is a simple meal made on and from the farm..."

Caleu Egg Sandwich

toasted bread (bread baked by neighbor, can substitute with bagel or english muffin)
tomato slices (tomato bought from local roadside vendor)
goat cheese slices (locally made)
fried duck egg (from farm)
chopped green onion marinated in lemon juice (picked from garden)

Enjoy with a glass of cranberry juice!
(juice concentrate from cranberries grown south of Santiago)

1 comment:

  1. mmmm... this is so perfect. it will be an inspiration for me to garden when spring rolls around.

    ReplyDelete