Monday, November 9, 2009

smells like it hurts

I took a tour of a coffee plantation in the fertile Magdalena Valley in central Colombia. At the end, I got my very own "diploma". Overpriced, but informative. They export the good beans and the crappy ones stay in the country, usually to make instant coffee. The season this year is bad. So was last year. Tourism helps a little.

The bus ride from Manizales to Cali was 5 hours of small coffee farms sloppily patched over hill chains. Garden of Eden as far as the eye can see. Like a cup of coffee, for the landscapes of coffee country to be enjoyed properly, use as many senses as possible. Drinking the air. I had my head out the window most of the time, recklessly exposed to the rapid climate shift during the journey, which resulted in a bad cough I still have a week later. Worth it.

Chinchina and Manizales, Colombia
Guayabal Finca, Plantation Tour

from seed to cup...

legitimate proof of coffee wisdom


Popayan, Colombia

Fractal Art Gallery

Still going small...

1 comment: