Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pop-krizzle, it's in the elevation

Bogotá, Colombia

The most progressive Latin American city I've been to yet. Well, generally speaking from my limited experience and swayed perspective. In other words, a meaningless opinion. High altitudes make the air crisp. Universities, museums, cultural centers, art hanging on walls, art spray painted on walls, a thriving cyclist movement, cheap beer. Proudly bohemian. Humbly bourgeois. Oxymoronic? That's Bogotá. I stayed in the gay neighborhood. I've never slept safer and more soundly anywhere else on this trip.
R.I.P. Glasses
Reenactment of death: During the night, Glasses clung restfully to the outer mesh pocket of backpack at foot of owner who slept too soundly to be aware of the tragic event to follow. The nocturnal bus swerved through the winding hills of central Colombia, shaking Glasses from slumber. After one sharp turn too many, backpack lunged into aisle of bus, catapulting Glasses forward towards front of bus. Subsequent turns inches Glasses closer and closer to bus door, periodically swung open to allow airflow. Glasses desperately clings to the last step, yet countenance displays acceptance of imminent fate. The courageous fall. You were good to me Glasses. I took you for granted. I'm sorry my carelessness brought you to your end(or perhaps new beginning). But of all places to release you into the wild, I trust the dirt roads that frame the Magdalena Valley in this magnificent country is the home you deserve to live your last.

My Christmas wishlist: Precolombian pure gold head dress (Gold Museum)


wandering the flea market (aerial view)

Stay tuned for Colombian coffee plantations and oh man the views...

No comments:

Post a Comment