Monday, March 22, 2010

constant state of departure, while always arriving

Terremoto (Earthquake)

homemade white wine (high alcohol content not for the faint of heart alone)
splash of fernet (disgusting Argentine licorice liquor will give it that nice earthy color)
fatty scoop of pineapple ice cream (ice cream in beer? nothing has ever made so much sense)

I wanted to post before I left Chile, but that didn't happen. I also had all these ideas for post topics that really gutted the beast of introspection. They carried the right amount of sincere retrospection without getting oversentimental. But I'm already back in (the greater) Seattle (area) and, to borrow the words of a fellow traveler, it feels like I just woke up from a long dream. I wish I had a go-to recap statement that was inspiring, original, and sufficiently encapsulated my last 8 months abroad, but I'm drawing a lazy jetlagged blank. Let's just say I had an amazing time, improved my Spanish, and find myself suddenly appreciating Seattle's cool air and persistant greyness (for the moment).
I had a pretty raucous despedida at the Piojera, a crowded working class bar that was christened "the fleahouse" when a pre-Pinochet Chilean president walked into the popular dive and disgustedly called it so before walking out. Their famous drink, the Terremoto (earthquake), will rock you. It's cheap (less than 4 dollars) and one gets me properly shitfaced.

Anyways, I'm not sure how interesting this blog will get from here on out. I'llprobably continue with the recipes and crafty whatnots, until my next big trip.

Here are some random last shots from around Santiago:
At the Museo de la Memoria, remembering the Pinochet dictatorship
View of Santiago from San Cristobal hill

Colombia is with you Chile, post-quake condolences

Going-away with the Santiago Times staff at the Piojera. Ciao Santiago!

No comments:

Post a Comment