Saturday, February 20, 2010

Headin' south

The beginnings of my greenhouse project. Picked, packed, and ready to be planted south.

The Santiago Times staff is taking a week-long vacation. Since February is a "slow news month", the ST will shut down until March 1st. My boss, Steve and his family are moving to their 140 acres in the Lakes Region of southern Chile. They have a large greenhouse that needs to be worked and Steve requested that I take on the project. Exciting! I can apply what I've learned in the organic gardens in Caleu to their larger empty greenhouse in the south.

So in a couple days, I'll be making my way south. I also need to renew my Chilean visa, so I'm going to take my "week off" to travel down the Argentine side of the Andean spine and then cross the border to Puerto Montt, the closest large city to Steve's southern property. Couchsurfing hosts have been contacted, lodging secured, route mapped out, warm clothes and rain jacket packed. It's a ripe time for introspection since I'll be traveling solo through thought-provoking, breath-taking scenery. Or for catching up on all the sleep I lost from going out every night while in Santiago.

In preparation for the move, I've packed up some seeds for Steve and his family to transport south so they'll be waiting to be planted when I arrive next month. Carlos and I harvested seeds of arugula, lettuce, chard, and more from the gardens, and separated them into jars labeled by yours truly.


On the move again. I'll work my way from Mendoza (Argentine wine capital), to Bariloche, to El Bolson, then over the border back into Chile to Puerto Montt. Sorry for the confusing, scribble-ridden map.

Steve's parcela is about 30 minutes from Puerto Montt, right by the sea. I'll be living in the barn (I think a downgrade from the shed in Caleu) for 1-2 weeks depending on how long it takes to develop the greenhouse. Although Steve and his family will be living there, once again I am the only volunteer. Considering how much larger their southern homestead is, lack of internet and electricity in the barn, and rainy cold weather, living here may pose a greater challenge in adapting to solitude. Once the greenhouse project is complete, I'll return to Santiago where I'll most likely live my last week in Chile on the farm in Caleu. Wow, heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment