Thursday, September 3, 2009

I miss Ethiopian food.

San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, MX: August 30-31
As I mentioned in the last post, my camera battery died in Guanajuato so I'll be photo-less until September 9th. This means no photos of San Miguel de Allende(a real shame!) and limited photos of Guanajuato and Morelia. In the nicetime, here are some journal entries with a few very rough sketches that will have to suffice for now.

Right now I'm in Morelia staying with a friend (who has a beautiful Canon DSLR that he's graciously letting me borrow during my stay in town). So there will be a few photos from Morelia and the neighboring pueblo of Patzcuaro. And of course that's how I'm able to take pictures of the following journal pages.
Guanajuato from the Alhondiga (above)
The Alhondiga where "father of Mexican independence" Miguel Hidalgo got his ass kicked by Spanish Royalists(below)
San Miguel de Allende in fine point sharpie (from the Mirador)
...though I prefer the view from the corner of Real de Oro and Montes de Oca(right, in pencil):
City maps (cut and pasted from guidebook) and recipe for enchiladas verdes provided by a kind shopkeeper in San Miguel

Packing list modifications

Subtractions:
-Section on Brazil in guidebook*

Additions:
-gluestick (for pasting into journal)

*A note (in shameless praise of) on South America on a Shoestring: including Mexi
co & Central America(1986) by Geoff Crowther
I've come to really appreciate this guidebook, not despite it's outdatedness but because of it. For starters the entire book was written by one bearded hippie-looking fellow, unlike the Lonely Planet guides of today with numerous contributers. This gives Shoestring a cohesive, trustworthy, personal touch. Also because of the breadth of countries covered, the information is limited. There are no glossy photos and it's uncorrupted by long lists of restaurants, hotels, hostels, museums, etc. While traveling, I have no choice but to create my own judgments, make my own discoveries and at the least be surprised visually, without previous introductions. Plus Mr. Crowther isn't afraid to mention when a place is of "little interest to the traveler"(while still providing information about it) and in what pueblos you're likely to find good pot.
Since I came upon the book by happenstance in a dollar store in Portland (99 cents) I also don't feel bad about ripping out pages. I had to do this for Brazil since it took up a sizeable portion of the book's weight and I know I won't be going there on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment